Wardrobe Must Haves - Clothing










Wardrobe Must-Haves



There are a number of  "basics" that every person needs in their closet. These basics can be worn with anything, anytime and anywhere; They can be classed up or worn in a more causal setting.
 Everyone has a different style, a unique way in which they like to express themselves, so of course not all of the following pieces will suit every single person in the world, however, these are what I consider basic and essential pieces to own and wear.

Now, before I start, keep your basics a neutral colour like black, white or your preferred shade of grey. You can also try a light beige or tan colour, but make sure to choose the shade that compliments your skin tone. I'm only saying that because I have noticed when I've bought some beige or tan coloured clothing, it has washed me out or looked a little "off" on me due to my skin tone.




A Plain White T-Shirt

@soletopia blog // Pinterest
Everyone needs a simple, plain white T-shirt in their closet, and if you already don't have one ..what are you doing? Go get one, now! Okay, maybe that's a bit extreme, but honestly a plain T-shirt, black grey, any colour but preferably white, is a must.
  This simple little piece can be dressed up by simply adding some heels, a blazer or some jewellery or wear it casual tucked into some high wasted jeans with a pair of converse.


  
A Silk Cami



   A plain white or black cami is also a good basic to have on hand because again, it's easily dressed up or down but it also just give a more 'put together' look to your outfit in my opinion, like you tried harder on your final look than you actually did. I said silk cami, but satin, jersey, crepe or even a faux suede type of material would also look good, it just really depends on your preference.
  Personally, I prefer silk or satin because I like how it falls when tucked into jeans or trousers, which is how I like to style these camisoles.
A light pink-y nude is another option is white or black is too plain for you or you just want something different. It is light enough in colour to be paired with most other colours and looks very classy when dressed with a layered necklace, a skirt or trousers and heels.




Denim Jacket

From Pinterest


A good quality, sturdy denim jacket, fitted or over-sized, is a must for anyone's closet. These jackets are very versatile and great for any season. They can be warn in the winter with chunky nit sweaters or in the summer over a nice cropped shirt and some shorts. The colour or cut doesn't matter, it really is up to you and what your taste is. Personally I prefer an oversized, light or stonewashed denim, however it's up to you if you want to get white, black, or dark wash.
Also, there is no need to get an expensive jacket, like Levi's, yes they look good, but you can get a sturdy, heavy denim jacket from anywhere like Topshop or Asos is a good place to look. Although, if you would like a vintage Levi's jacket but not spend the money, you can check out Depop. Often times people sell Levi's jackets for half, or even quarter of the original price so it's worth a look if you want a specific brand.

If you feel like it, I would also recommend getting a borg lined denim jacket. It is great for Autumn, Winter and even early Spring, but it's definitely not necessary since a normal denim jacket can be layered on top of any sweater.


A Blazer





 


Many people may already have a blazer in their closet from previous job interviews, or work but a blazer can also be worn outside of a professional setting to substitute a regular coat or jacket.
I love blazers personally, because I think they just add a certain  I've-got-my-shit-together feel to any outfit plus, you just feel like a badass girl boss walking around town wearing a nice blazer.
Again, any colour or fit is fine, but starting out with a black or white one is the easiest.
They are also versatile, because they can be worn to work, interviews or in a casual or classy setting.


A Leather Jacket

from Pinterest
A classic, black leather jacket. Everyone needs one, everyone should have one already, but if you don't, go and buy one. This little jacket is a timeless piece that looks good on anyone, no matter your size, shape or style, you will be able to rock this jacket and feel like a badass while doing so.




Denim and Black Jeans


Original Bloom via Pinterest
Denim Jeans - I'm sure everyone has at least one pair of denim jeans currently in their closet already.
There are so many styles, length, cuts, designs and shades of denim to choose from now a days, so finding your right type may be tricky, you may have to spend a little more than you would like on the perfect pair, however, there is nothing like the feeling you get, strutting through main street and feeling confident in a pair of jeans that feel like they were made for you.
Like with everything on this list, colour and style do not matter, whatever you feel confident in is best. I prefer light was mom jeans because I feel like they are just flattering on me, but you can never go wrong with a good pair of skin tight jeans.






Black Jeans - same deal applies to these classics. Everyone has them, everyone loves them and they go with every outfit, every occasion.
For me, black jeans are more classy than regular denim ones, so you can get more wear out of them because you can wear them to more events and occasions just make sure to match the style to the occasion, you wouldn't want to show up at a semi-professional meeting wearing ripped jeans now would you?




A white button down

@JAY - Pinterest
A simple white, or any colour, button down shirt. Classy, sophisticated and versatile. Can be worn multiple ways for multiple occasions, with extra jewellery or a pair of denim shorts. Looks good on everyone, very simple but necessary.



Seasonal Items

Autumn/Winter 


Sweaters

For the Autumn/Winter season, sweaters are a must. Whether it be turtle necks, fine or chunky knit, oversized or tight fitting, everyone needs a couple of good, warm sweaters.
I really like turtle necks, either on a thick sweater or a thin one. They just look better plus I hate wearing scarves, and  turtle necks have literal built in scarves, making my life soo much easier.




I love my black turtle neck sweater. It is so incredibly easy to style under denim jackets, wool coats and leather jackets.
It looks amazing on and takes your outfit to the next level when tucked into a pair of high waisted jeans and worn with a belt and a large coat. It is so simple yet does wonders for your look and your figure, which is weird, but trust me.

Also, not necessary, but getting a looser grey turtle neck or any style of sweater is also a good idea because it is easy to just throw on when you don't exactly know what to wear since it goes with any colour and shade.


 
Although I love my black turtle neck deeply, I almost prefer the grey sweater I own. Not because of the style of it or how it fits, but because it is just so very easy to style with everything. So is the black one, don't get me wrong, but I feel like sometimes black is just too dark, so that's when a light or a slightly darker grey, like in the photo, is a good go-to.




A Wool Coat




I have only recently found my love for these things. So far I have a black, grey and red one but I am looking into getting literally every colour, that is how much I love these coats.
So stylish, so easy to wear, warm, comfortable, you will look amazing in them once you find your perfect fit.
These coats come in an array of colours, but the grey, black and tan ones are the classics. They make your outfit feel more mature and put together, even if you are only wearing a pair of black jeans and a white T-shirt underneath.

One thing I will say about these coats is that it can be difficult to find your perfect fit, and they can be quite expensive. There are different styles, like the boyfriend style which is some what looser and baggier, which I love, however, being of a quite small built and not to mention only 5'3, it will just look like it's swallowing me whole. These coats also do come in different lengths, like ankle, knee and thigh length, so you just need to find your perfect length.

Also, for any of my fellow short girls, I got my grey coat from the trf section of  Zara and it fits perfectly. It land at about my knee, the sleeves are a bit long but nothing too major, and it does not look extremely baggy on me. If you are looking for a longer length version, I got my black one from Bershka, it is very nice quality, very thick and land at about my ankle, don't think it was designed that way.. but hey, it makes the perfect long length coat for me, so I'm not complaining. It has narrow shoulders though, so it will look perfectly fitted.
These coats were both also very cheap, the Zara one, which is more light weight, was 20 EUR and the Bershka one, which is of very good quality, thick material, was about 35 EUR.






Spring/Summer

Dresses and Rompers


For spring summer, I'd suggest lighter clothing, something breezy and colourful. depending on your style of course, a type of skirt would be ideal or even a dress.
I have never been much of a skirt/dress wearer, however this Spring/Summer with the whole floral pattern craze, I have gotten more into ditsy, flowy and light skirts and dresses.
I think they are very cute, attractive and feminine, not to mention comfortable.





If you don't like very ditsy dresses, you can also go for a pinafore dress, which looks just as cute and comes in many different types of materials and styles, like denim, corduroy or jersey.
Of course a dress is not essential my any means, if you prefer not to wear dresses, don't.

But if you still want the dress look without the actual dress, you can always opt to wear a romper or playsuit. In my opinion these are the best thing to ever come out of the fashion industry. It's like a dress..with shorts, how can it get any better?
These are just as cute and flattering as dresses, they come in many styles, shapes, cuts, colours and sizes and I'm sure you will find one you like.




If you don't want to buy a dress, I think you should definitely invest in one or two good rompers that you know you will wear the ish out of. They are just incredibly easy and comfortable.




Shorts and Skirts


Shorts are an essential summer item, whether you get them in simple denim, or a flowy crepe material, it doesn't really matter.
Denim shorts are a classic, in any colour, ripped or non ripped, but I would also invest in some flowy shorts if they are something that's up your style alley. They are cute, comfortable and can be worn to some summer parties where you need to look more "business casual" or anywhere you need to look nice, but they can also be worn on a simple day out and about.


Skirts



I know skirts aren't for everyone, but in the summer, a nice flowy or even denim skirt can really pull an outfit together or just be an easy change from your casual pair of shorts.
Again, many variations, just choose the one that you feel the most comfortable in. I do suggest however, investing in a good quality denim skirt. I just think they are flattering and look good on everyone and can be worn with anything.





Trousers

Trousers. Flowy, skinny, culottes, palazzo, high or paper-bag waist, all comfortable, all stylish and cute. Personally I love trousers, no matter the season or weather. They are a great alternative to regular jeans, and can add much more to an outfit than regular jeans.

There are so many styles and honestly, it's just something you need to look into yourself, try on and find out. As with everything, people's tastes vary, however I think with trousers that is especially true since there are so incredibly many variations and honestly not every style is flattering.

I mostly just like cigarette style or ones that kind of become tighter at the bottom and as with everything, a high wait is a must. I also really like culottes, but I am short so they usually end at a very awkward length on me.





That is it, everything I think is a wardrobe basic, but just remember, my basics and my colours may not be your preference, so in the end, wearing what you are comfortable with and what you feel like your best self in is what matters.
 
Quite a long post, so I apologise, but I think it was worth it? Let me know what you guys think, and if you have anything to add or anything you think I missed, comment it down below, as always! I hope you enjoyed reading and got some inspiration and/or help.


Also, I'm thinking about doing a similar post on accessories and shoes, let me know if that's something you'd be interested in??




Thank you for reading!


Comments

  1. This blog post was really cool and interesting! I like your fashion ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked it :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts